Saturday, November 15, 2014

Reflections on Building Homes and Relationships

Today was our ‘fun day’ of the trip. We left Esteli bright and early this morning and made a few stops on the way to Granada including an active volcano and handicraft market for souvenirs. We spent the afternoon on a private island having lunch, kayaking, swimming and relaxing poolside. Finally we had a little time to explore Granada City before having a nice team dinner this evening complete with a traditional Nicaraguan dance performance with a marimba.






As we prepare to head home early tomorrow morning, I asked the team to reflect on the week and share what this experience has meant to them or pass along some of their favorite memories.



Since I have yet to blog during the work week, I’ll kick things off with a few of my own thoughts. Thinking back to our first day on the build just 5 days ago, I was instantly overwhelmed with love and gratitude from the Ruiz family. From the first ‘Hola’, Gioconda welcomed me with outstretched arms and an open heart. All I had done was step off the van and introduced myself and she was hugging me and thanking me for helping her family…and I hadn’t done a thing besides show up. Each day was the same. Love and gratitude poured out of Gioconda; her husband, Arnoldo; and their two sons, Angel and Arnoldito, every day of the build. The family had so much love for one another as well. I have never seen a 12 and 15 year old son so loving and affectionate towards their parents. This reminded me how simple it can be to make a difference in the lives of those we encounter every day – from our closest loved ones to perfect strangers. Sometimes all we have to do is show up and we can turn someone’s entire life around!

This trip has also helped me re-center myself in what really matters. So often I get caught up in the hustle and bustle of my busy life, where how much I can accomplish often takes priority. I realized pretty quickly that I’ve gotten into a routine of working hard to finish everything I need to get done in order to complete the task at hand, but have forgotten what is at the core of everything we do – people! Yes, we worked hard to build the house this week. But the most important part of each day here was stopping our work to talk to the family, the masons and the children. We were there to build a house, but more importantly to build relationships. To get to know people, give them hope and inspire them….all of which I feel we received twofold back to ourselves. It was incredible to see the transformation of the team in this regard throughout the week. First we were focused on building the house, but by the end of the week we were more concerned about where each family member was and ensuring we went to greet them with a warm hug and share some laughs throughout the day. It was awesome to see the relationships everyone formed. Seeing the kids wait for their new ‘amigos bestos’ and the masons ready to recruit their ‘divertido’ workers for the day was really inspiring to watch.

We are called to be God’s hands and feet, which can at times seem like a daunting task. Yet, God doesn’t call us into action without making a way for us to carry out His plan and that’s exactly what He’s done on this trip. He put a fire in each of our hearts to make the journey to a new country and do something new. We thought we were building a house, which we did, but the best part of the trip was building incredible relationships with beautiful people. We did this all without even speaking much of the same language which is a testament how powerful our God is. He can work through us beyond our skills and abilities to form a family of believers that knows no barriers.

I will always hold a special place in my heart for the Ruiz family and all of the other Nicaraguan people we met along the way on this incredible journey!

~Amanda





This trip has exceeded my expectations in numerous ways.  It was nice to also take a break from the task at hand to see the beautiful country we are visiting.  The part I most appreciated was that we not only were able to help a family in need but also helped us see life through a perspective many of us don’t have the opportunity to experience every day.  It is experiences like this that make you think about what means the most to you and how you handle life’s trials and temptations.  Gioconda’s family was a great example to us on how love for God, family, and those around us should be priorities in our lives.  It is my hope that this humbling experience carries through beyond this trip and motivates me to get more involved with those in need in my own community back home and hopefully another volunteer trip in the near future.
~Joe




Going on this trip was the right choice for many reasons. It has been different from what I expected in all the right ways. My favorite memory from this trip happened the last day of our build, Friday. Gioconda had brought one of her sisters over to see the house for the first time. Her sister could barely speak a whole sentence to me before she started crying and hugging me. In the moment, I was shocked. This was the first time I had seen this woman and I had done nothing for her directly, or so I thought. But simply being there for her sister, even if I had only mixed one batch of cement the whole week, meant the world to this woman. She continued to hug me and thank me countless times for what we had done. They say they will never be able to repay us or show enough thanks, but I have thanks for them too. They have shown me that some of the things I worry about in my life every day, are not really as important as I think they are. This is a priceless gift I will not be able to repay them for. This trip has changed my outlook on so many things and I hope to pass this new perspective on to others.
~Chey




My favorite memory of the trip was meeting my "amigo bestos" in breaks during the build. We would play "disco" or frisbee everyday during the breaks from work. We took many pictures together and I will always remember him and he will always remember me.
~Will




This was not so much a trip to share God’s love with those who don’t know him, the mission trip I was expecting. Rather, this trip was a celebration of God’s love and generosity to his believing children.

9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galations 6: 9-10

Generosity was stunningly displayed this week. The incredible team of volunteers I had the pleasure of working and living with this week showed generosity to brothers and sisters in Christ who were complete strangers until Monday, by giving our time, physical abilities, and love to build a house where a house was needed. The Habitat for Humanity staff showed great generosity to us by treating us like kings and queens when we weren’t working, and keeping us safe and very happy while we were working. Gioconda Ruiz and her family, their neighbors, and the masons were generous to us as well by giving many gifts out of their financial poverty. Most of all, God was generous to us in countless ways. Now the missionaries are Gioconda and her family as they testify to God’s generosity to their neighbors.

4 Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted. 5 Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Isaiah 12: 4-5

~Natalie




Though it is cliche to say it, this last day in Nicaragua was bittersweet. I hate to say goodbye to so many generous, hospitable, helpful, faith-filled and kind people that I tried my best to pretend I wouldn't really have to. Hopefully I can come back someday, God-willing. I guess there's nothing left to do but to sign up for another Habitat build! This must be how Habitat gets people hooked on serving with them. Anyways despite the impending goodbyes it was a perfect close of the trip to motorboat out to a tiny islet restaurant, in the world's largest freshwater lake and rest in a hammock in the shadow of the brilliant afternoon sun. We had the island to ourselves, and the food and atmosphere couldn't have been better--it almost made me question whether something was wrong with me because a person probably shouldn't be so happy, it's not good for digestion. I'm over it, but at least it's clear that it takes a high to balance the lows and smooth the transition to home. Crap I just remembered winter is waiting there for us...
~Ryan




Our eight day stay in Nicaragua is about to come to a close. When I reflect back on the days spent here there are so many stories, thoughts, and emotions that fill my head. The part of the trip that struck the strongest cord with me was building relationships with those surrounding me. Going into this trip I could not have imagined the connections I would make with members of our team, the Ruiz family, and the staff from Habitat. I'm walking away with such gratitude for this entire experience. In particular, I am most thankful for the strengthening of my relationship with God. Witnessing the faith of those around me, and seeing the work of the Holy Spirit cross cultures left me in awe this week. In the earthly sense I am saddened to think I may never cross paths with some of the people I have met and connected with this week, but as Natalie highlighted in a message to the family, we will be once again united in a heavenly home. How comforting and fitting of a message for the task at hand this past week and for the nature of the relationships that we built.

"Oh, sweet and blessed country,
The home of God’s elect!
Oh, sweet and blessed country
That eager hearts expect!
In mercy, Jesus, bring us
To that dear land of rest!
You are, with God the Father
And spirit, ever blest." -Alexander C. Ewing

~Ashley




I knew this week working in Nicaragua was going to be tough, but I had no idea how tough it would be to leave! For how could I want to leave a place where not only the walls of a house were raised, but the faith and happiness of builders and new homeowners alike, too? It was through this mutual, simultaneous growth that we Crossroaders and Nicaraguans came together and forged an unforgettable bond. We may have built a house, but it was the Ruiz family and the journey itself that reinforced the foundation for my faith, my strength, and, quite honestly, my confidence in myself. After a roller coaster of a year, the last week has had me feeling more like myself then I have felt in a long, long time. One of my instant favorite memories from the week was on Friday during our fiesta to celebrate Gioconda's new home. For the kids' amusement, I brought a pair of fake funny teeth to randomly pop in my mouth and get a giggle or two (or just accidentally scare the children away). Boy, was I ever in for a surprise. The kids and the adults alike LOVED the teeth, and I totally embraced their laughter. My heart feels so full knowing I helped put smiles on those people's faces, and I feel so grateful to them for reminding me of who I am. As someone who takes great pride in making people laugh, the fiesta immediately became a memory I will always hold very dear. Of course, there were many more memories made over the past week: late night giggle fests and build site dance parties with my delightful roommate/instant pal Ashley, teaching random English slang to our driver, Nelson, with the rest of the Chicago crew, and, ya know, just growing closer to my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I've had an amazing time in Nicaragua with my friends and new friends alike, and I look forward to growing through the awesome and godly examples they've set in the years to come.
~Megan




No comments:

Post a Comment